Monday, February 28, 2011

21st century assignment


During my school career, from kindergarten to grade twelve, I have developed many different skills. Such as the basic skills of math, socials, science, and English. These classes have given me the opportunity to learn about the worlds past, learn about the different systems in my body, learn how to do different kinds of equations, and learn how to communicate, read and write. Then there are the types of skills that you can learn in classes like PE, woodwork, metal work, foods, computers, art, and bands. These types of courses give you skills that help you in your everyday life. However, I think the most important skills that you are going to need for after high school life are all of the skills you learn in English class. If you think about it, in English class you learn about things like how to read, how to write, how to communicate verbally with others around you, how to communicate in a job setting, and how to communicate in a job setting. All of these skills are skills that in the future will be very beneficial to you. In every job, a person will need to know how to communicate to other people, write things for their job and read things for every job. These are all of the basic skills of life and are indeed the most important skills that you are going to need for a post-high school life.

I definitely think that I am learning these skills in high school. If in high school I never learned how to write a proper essay, I wouldn’t know how to write an essay if I ever needed one for my job in the future. If I never learned how to read in high school, my vocabulary would be very limited. If in high school I never learned how to communicate with others, it would have a huge impact on the rest of my life.

The perfect high school for my life would be very difficult to describe. But it would be interesting for all students of all different learning styles. You would never hear in the hallways students saying to each other “Why do we need to learn this? How am I ever going to apply this to my future? What is the point of this subject?” Kids would want to be in school and learn the subjects that they are being taught. The reason for this is because in my perfect high school there would be a wide range of all classes. Instead of breaking down the classes into more specific topic classes in only grade twelve, I would break down into those specific topics in grade nine. This would create more interest in a student’s daily high school learning. They would want to go to a class like socials because the class only focuses on the topics they like. For me I always despised the history topic in socials class. Whenever the topic started, it would always bring my mark down because I just wasn’t interested in the subject. And because of this I always had to somehow struggle through the topic and try and get a good mark in it. As soon as I got into grade twelve and was able to drop the history part of socials and only focus on the geography part of socials, my mark always stayed in the 90-100% range because I was interested in the topic and was able to succeed in learning the material that I needed to learn. My perfect high school would also get rid of tests. Tests don’t show what a student knows. It limits the student to only a few of the parts in the chapter that they have to know for the test, and if they don’t know that one specific part of the chapter, then they get the whole question or section of the test wrong.

Next year I hopefully will be going to University. I have applied to UBC-O for Human Kinetics and I am wanting to either do the four years of Human Kinetics and then be a cop, or finish the last two years and become a physiotherapist.

No comments:

Post a Comment