Monday, February 28, 2011

Walk A Paragraph In Someone Else's Shoes


"It's a beautiful day today here in Penticton. The sun is shinning and it is still only 6:30 in the morning." My radio cried out to me telling me to get up and get ready for another hard day at work. Today feels different though. My son has been crying since 4:15 this morning. I am so tired. Even though I want to stay home I have to go to work so that I can support my family and pay for all of my son's extra curricular activities. As I hopped in the shower and got ready for work, my son Sammy came running in to my room. He was still crying about his nightmare he had earlier this morning. Every morning when I put my Starbucks uniform on, I remember my wife and Sammy. Every thing I do is for them. I always put 110% into both of my jobs. Working two jobs is really stressful, especially with the long hours everyday. But I have to do it to show my family that I love them. As I left my apartment, I got onto the bus and headed for work. When I got to Starbucks my boss handed me a pink shirt and told me to put it on. She said it was for the "anti-bullying day".
What does she know about "anti-bullying"? She is always picking on her employees and bossing them around. But hey, if I want to keep this job to help support my family, then I have to do what she wants. As I continued making drinks for the hundreds of customers that morning, I noticed a young teenage boy walk in the doors. He came and ordered a drink from me and then waited as I made it for him. When I handed it to him, he said "thanks" in a really happy tone of voice. He then proceeded to tell me how his home life wasn't that great, and he really liked coming to Starbucks to get out of all the commotion back at home. He said how he loved the friendly atmosphere in Starbucks whenever he came in for a coffee. It made me realize how even though I knew my life wasn't that great at home and with trying to work two jobs to support my wife and kid, I was still able to make a change in this young boys life. It made me able to lift my head back up and be able to tell myself that everything was going to be okay. And I don't have to worry about anything because it will all work out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment